Friday, 3 April 2015

Kit Bashing


After dry fitting Fenton Lodge and getting a feel for the space, the first thing I've done is list what the bare necessities are to make it into the home that I imagine it could be and what is desirable should I find room for it.
Need                                            Desired
                                                  Bathroom                                    Dining area
                                                  Bed                                             Communal room inside
                                                  Kitchen                                       Communal room outside
                                        
To squeeze both the 'Need' and 'Desired' elements into the deisgn I am moving the main building back on it's base to give it a more usable outside area, and adding an extension on one side to supplement the lost living space. It might seem odd cutting anything off a kit, especially when I'm trying to fit as much into it as possible, but sometimes kits require a re-jiggle. Because the kit is taller to the front, I've opted to cut from the back and lose the windows. To compensate for the loss of light from those windows, the extension will be mostly glass. I may add more windows later - I'm trying to keep the design as loose as possible and not make any decisions I will later regret.

I will apologise in advance for the crappy photos. My house is in uproar with Spring cleaning and decorating at the moment.

Nothing exciting about the base. It's glued and I'll decorate it once I decide wether it is a seaside or forest lodge


Cutting both walls and moving the whole building back on the base leaves me 200mm depth at the front which I think is a decent enough space for some decking. The extension will comfortably hold a dining area. I've re-cut some of the pieces from the kit to fit in with the alterations.



The extension is made from a 20mm strip of 1/4" MDF. It all looks rather dull doesn't it? I can't wait to get some colour and texture in there. I've cut the curved beams flush because they looked odd protruding over the extension. The roof is going to take some figuring out.

I've been cutting some wooden floorboards for the Mill over the last week. I needed something neutral, something that doesn't compete with the walnut stairs or brickwork, so I chose Ash veneer so you see the grain without the strong colour. I thought I'd show you how I cut boards. I know I've seen this technique before somewhere but I can't recall where.



You take a piece of scrap sheet wood and on it, you glue a strip of wood (on the right of the picture) Then find two pieces of wood the width you need your floorboards. In this instance, I've used two pieces 12mm wide. You glue them in a way that the allow the veneer to sit inbetween, but close enough that the metal rule sits against them to make the cut. I used a retractable knife to slice the veneer. This way was so much faster than I've done previously and the floorboard strips are consistent in size. Thank you to whomever thought of it, you saved me a days work.

I hope to post something brighter next time

Have a great weekend
Pepper =0)



24 comments:

  1. La construcción me parece interesante y parte importante del proyecto, es la base de todo y si se hace bien, es más sencillo continuar el resto.
    Tiene muy buena facha.
    Un abrazo
    Maite

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your ability to build an addition to a kit. For me, even the assembly of a kit is complicated.
    This makes it so interesting to see your work in progress.
    Happy weekend!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good at building. This is something I know nothing about. I look forward to watching your progress. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pepper,
    What a clever idea to cut the wood strip, your photos have made it so clear - a picture is worth a thousand words!
    I like the form your kit build is taking,
    regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for the floorboards! I might have to adapt that idea for cutting out leather strips for bridles and the like - I rarely get them even!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It hardly looks dull. :D I love the revamping you've done and that floor cutting jig is marvelous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pepper! Your front extension is Beautifully done and looks like it should be there too! This is going to be an architecturally interesting build, as well as one with Lots of interior Pizzazzzz!
    LOOKIN' GOOD! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the changes of the kit, which you're building. I'm curious to see what you will come up with.....probably a most beautiful design, what else to expect of you ;O!
    What a genious way of cutting strips of veineer, thanks for sharing :D!
    Wishing you a lovely, sunny Easter weekend.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  9. You call it kit bashing - I call it kit improvement. The more space you have for decoration the better... ;O) The extension is a great way to vary this building and your list sounded very promising. And thanks for showing this clever method of cutting wood stripes.

    Happy Easter and hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pepper! You've taken an already interesting shape and made it even more dynamic! I love the way you've extended the kit backward, and I am excited about where that extension is going. (I'm counting on you!)

    Thank You SO much for sharing the idea about how to cut the floorboards out of veneer. It is a clever little jig, and one that I know I will be using soon!

    Good luck on the build!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this kit is going to look great with the extension. I look forward to seeing how you fit everything into the design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Has hecho una buena modificación.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the addition, I can't wait to see what's next. Bash away!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your extension is great - it definitely improves the kit (which has very little windows). I can't wait to see what you do with it. And the floorboard cutting jig is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Let the kit bash begin! I'm so impressed with the extension it not only adds much needed space with but also in my opinion improves upon the overall look! It looks like a really fun space to play with :D And thanks so much for the picture of the floor board jig...I have a lot of floorboards to cut in the next few weeks for the kitchen and this might just save me from ruler hand-holding burn out ;P Hope you are having a lovely Easter weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beau travail, bonne continuation!
    Bonnes fêtes de Pâques,
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kit bashing! You have to put your signature on it. The extension is great. I'm loving it already.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great idea for cutting the strips of wood veneer. So simple but looks very effective. I'll keep that for future reference.

    The kit bashing looks like it's coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lady, you continue to AMAZE! I'm a bit impatient waiting for the final. Such nerve, ey? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a great floor cutting jig! It's wonderful when bloggers share tips like this.... to make the jig saves you time in the long run, but you might not think so unless you see how simple the jig can be! I really like your idea for a "mostly glass" extension on the kit... it already looks so much more interesting than the original space! The summer house we spent time in when I was a child was designed by my Dad... it had floor to ceiling windows on two walls of the main room... the whole building was up on stilts and the house was in the woods... you really felt like you were up in the trees! Also had trees growing through the deck on the end outside one of the glass walls. The "kitchen" was a minimal galley kitchen along the end wall of the main room. We loved staying in that house! I can't wait to see where you take this project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking forward to your next post! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi!
    I love watching your work! Your build looks very professional!
    Thank you for sharing with us great ideas!
    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic work so far, the structure has a wonderful shape to it I await your designs to it! The flooring tool is fantastic!! Oh the time and headache it would have saved me before, well now I know;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic work so far, the structure has a wonderful shape to it I await your designs to it! The flooring tool is fantastic!! Oh the time and headache it would have saved me before, well now I know;)

    ReplyDelete