Sunday, 31 May 2015

Sofa tutorial Mk2 (all scales) - Upholstering the frame

In case you missed it, the first part of this tutorial is here

At this point, I have the sofa frame glued together, ready for the fabric. I would suggest a fabric that doesn't contain elastic/lycra and have at least 1 metre if you're making 6th scale or larger.

To start, I glue pieces of fabric to all of the side facing parts and overlap a little over the edges.


I then run double-sided sticky tape around each arm. (Fabric glue can be used too)


Then I make banding for the arms. The arms on my sofa are 18mm wide so I make the banding the same width.


Starting a little way in at the bottom, I stick the banding on both of the sofa arms


Next is a piece of fabric the width of seat, long enough to wrap around the sofa


Before fixing the fabric in place, you can pad the back of the sofa so it looks more authentic.


but leave a gap at the sides. You need this to stick the fabric to. 

Starting at the bottom, I use very strong double-sided sticky tape.


Start working your way up from bottom to top, making sure the fabric pieces meet at the edges

Keep adding strips of double-sided tape, (or glue), to keep the fabric in place


Manipulate the fabric over the back, making sure it is stuck to the tape (or glue) at the sides, especially if you have padded the back of the sofa. Keep sticking the fabric until you reach the starting point, underneath.


For the seat, I use 1" thick foam. Measure a piece to fit, but leave about 2mm gap all around. This is to leave room for the fabric you are covering the foam with.





To cover the foam cushion, I glue a piece of fabric to the top and bottom. I then make another piece of banding, 1" wide and stick the banding around the edge of the cushion. Start sticking it at the back so that the join in the banding doesn't show.


Last thing to do is add feet. Remember when I pre-drilled holes for the bamboo toothpicks? I use the pointy end of the toothpick to find the hole in the base of the sofa. Dab a little glue on it and push it in to the sofa frame. Then get the feet you have chosen, drill a hole in them the size of the toothpick and then glue them into place. Once the glue is dried, you can cut off the excess toothpick and you're done.


I have found that this method ensures the feet and banding stay where they should be.


The finished sofa

Just add some cool cushions and mini people =0)

I don't mind this tutorial being posted anywhere else - feel free if you think it is helpful to anyone.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Pepper =0)

50 comments:

  1. WOW! What a great tutorial. The sofa is gorgeous and beautifully upholstered. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fantastic! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial! Your results are spectacular, as with all of your work! Thank you for sharing this! xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like comments are enabled so I wanted to say how interesting! And beautiful---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd disabled the comments but must have had a brain fart =0/ Thank you Linda =0)

      Delete
  5. great tuto! and well photographed... as always :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tutorial, Pepper,your sofa is wonderful and beautifully upholstered. Thank you for sharing all of the tips to achieve this result :D!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so Impressive Pepper! What a neat and tight fit you have achieved with the upholstery, and what a lovely color that you have chosen, too! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this great tutorial! Hugs, Melli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Pepper,
    thank you for the great tutorial. The sofa looks beautiful. I love your attention to finish and the straight, clean lines. This is going to be very helpful.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac, glad you like it =0)

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial! The couch looks amazing and really nicely done. I have wanted to learn more about woodworking and making homemade projects so this is very motivating. Thanks again for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Farrah, I'm glad you like it =0)

      Delete
  11. Wow! that couch has such clean lines. Great tutorial and a amazing outcome. Another fabulous addition to your build!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. The clean lines only happen in miniature - my real house is all wobbly and full of crap ;0P

      Delete
  12. Fantastic tutorial and excellent end result!

    (also I loved the 'My actual sofa is plum leather and covered in cats' bit on the previous part. XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I don't get to sit anymore, the cats have claimed everything comfortable in the house =0D

      Delete
  13. hello Pepper merci de ta visite sur mon blog .Très bon tutorial , facile et très beau canapé

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Catherine . Votre blog est incroyable et très inspirant =0)

      Delete
  14. Un estupendo tutorial, te ha quedado precioso, muchas gracias
    Un abrazo
    Maite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Maite. Usted es muy agradable =0)

      Delete
  15. Thank you very much for this great tutorial and all the work you've put into these very clear instructions.

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Birgit and you are very welcome =0)

      Delete
  16. Wow Pepper!!!!! I love how you make everything super clean, super modern, super perfect!!!!! I'm always amazed at your work. Just wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to leave a comment in the first part of this tutorial but I couldn't. So, sorry for this 2 nd comment here but I had to.....Thank you soooooooooo much for sharing this wonderful tut which I've pinned referring back to you. Wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simona, you are very welcome =0)

      Delete
  18. Hi Pepper! Thank You for the detailed tutorial! This will come in handy very soon. I am impressed by the neat, clean lines of the sofa when it is completed. And kick a couple of those cats off the couch! You deserve a rest! :0)

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug. I don't fancy getting bitten so I'll keep the kicking to a minimum ;0P

      Delete
  19. El tutorial parece fácil , pero no todo el mundo tiene tus manos .
    Gracias por compartir , es precioso .
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Rosa. Te prometo que es sólo la práctica y las manos no especiales =0)

      Delete
  20. Wonderful work, so realistic!
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pepper! This is so so well described and easy to follow! Your sofas always look very polished and this one especially with the little details like the stitching on the arms. One thing I take away from your tutorials is how important (and how much easier it is) to get the scale right from the beginning! ;) The red looks awesome against the brick of the loft :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristine. If I feel lazy, I use wonderweb to iron the banding instead of stitching =0)

      Delete
  22. Фантастика! Прекрасная работа! Спасибо за учебник!
    Татьяна

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо и мы будем очень рады Татьяна

      Delete
  23. Thank you so much! it's truly useful and beatifully explained, I'll try to make the best use of it
    Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic tutorial, thank you! I need to get some double sided sticky tape, looks great for upholstering. Also really like the way you attached the feet, I did something similar but using dressmaker pins (whatever was lying around you know :/ ), pretty sure your method is much more durable, accurate, much easier, neater, better and I will never use pins again, where were you when I needed you!! :D It's a great one for the mini community, and it's getting pinned pronto!

    Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great tutorial, Pepper! Thank you for your sharing:) I want to make it, too:)

    ReplyDelete