Sunday, 18 October 2015

Scaling down

Hi Hannah. Hope this answers any questions you or anyone else has about scaling down full-scale plans.


Rescaling plans is very simple. Even if you are rubbish at Math, there are quite a few online scale calculators that will do the work for you. Here are a few I have used -


I start by printing out or drawing a plan with full scale measurements on it. below is the plan I used from Ana White's blog



I start with the dimensions of the material listed on the plan so I know what size material I need to buy or cut. For the real-life size example above, the legs are made with 4 inch x 4 inch wood and the table top is 2 inch x 10 inch planks. To scale it down, use an online calculator (or do the math - full scale measuerment in inches divided by the scale you want =  scale down measurement in inches)
So the 4x4 legs would become 0.3 of an inch x 0.3 of an inch (or 8.46mm) in 12th scale and the 2 x 10 planks for the table top would be 0.16 of an inch by 0.8 of an inch (or 4.2 x 21mm) in 12th scale. I usually round the size to the closest full number. If you want to make an exact scale replica, you need to be prepared to invest a lot of time and money into tools that plane/thin the wood down to exact measurements.
Sometimes I make furniture with whatever materials I have available but the problem with this is you're relying on gut instinct. The finished item can look horribly out of scale so be prepared to experiment and learn from your mistakes.

Once I have the material sizes I need, I alter the cutting sizes on the plan. Each full-scale measurement needs to be substituted for the scaled down measurement, (either with an online calculator or working out the fraction). The only thing that remains the same are the degree cuts. A beam cut at 45° is the same for both full-scale and miniature.

I cut all of the pieces and then glue it together

Hope this helps
Pepper =0)




*Comments are disabled on this post - this is a stand alone reference for anyone who wants it*






No comments: