Sunday, 16 October 2016

30 somethings #5 - Abstract Plant Pots



Have you seen this Desktop vacuum former kickstarter campaign? About 36 seconds into the video, they make an abstract plant pot from a potato...yeah a potato.

I thought this would be perfect for a miniature project so, starting with a potato, I cut a couple of shapes about 20 x 15mm


You need to make the top and bottom flat so it pays to cut a 15mm thick slice of potato first and then slice some random angles in the sides. Rather than vacuum forming, I decided to cast the potato shapes with silicone. Silicone tends to capture fine detail much better than vacuum forming.

I tried a few materials to cast the pots - cement which was messy and unpredictable - resin which hardened too fast and Plaster of Paris, which was the easiest and most effective medium with something so small. You mix it with tap water to the consistancy of pouring cream


   After pouring into the mould, I dipped a piece of wooden dowel in olive oil (to stop it sticking to the Plater of Paris), and stuck it in the mould to make a 'hole' to put a plant into





 The Plaster of Paris hardens pretty fast, but not so hard that you don't have a bit of time to clean up any Oop moments.I have to say I was pretty thrilled with how easy it was. So much so that I got fancy with my pot making. I put some brass foil into the mold before pouring the plaster. When the plaster dries, the foil is permanently infused and looks pretty cool.


The picture above is of a different mold I was playing with but you get the idea.




I like 'em :D

I think the Cactus are looking better too. I couldn't help feel that the spines in my first attempt looked too big so I went for a walk in the countryside for some inspiration. My new Cactus spines come courtesy of Dandylion heads






Yes, I am that obsessive =0D

Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Pepper =0)

30 comments:

  1. Wow! Okay I'm amazed... Those planters look awesome and I love the gold foil.

    I agree with you on the cactuses. The first version would have looked fine but if you compare the two, the dandelion seeds are perfectly in scale. Love how it looks, deceptively fuzzy just like a real life cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yeah deceptively fuzzy until you try to repot them =0P Thanks Sheila

      Delete
  2. What a mind you have! The pots look spectacular and the new spines for the cactus are SPOT ON!
    YOU are Amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Elizabeth, that's very sweet of you =0)x

      Delete
  3. What a neat idea! And I love the new cactus from dandelions idea, it is perfect---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, I'm glad you like them =0)

      Delete
  4. Great idea! Your plants are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love the abstract planter and the cactus is PERFECT! So, apparently, there's nothing that you can't create! So talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that's genius! The gold in the pots is super cool but the fluffy cactus spikes are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. At last a use for dandelions seeds apart from spreading like wildfire through my lawn =0)

      Delete
  7. I love your pots, and the dandelion/thorn fix is such a great idea! I've been trying to make cactus plants by extruding polymer clay through a star shaped cake icing nozzle. So far all I have is cactus that looks like violent green icing... might have to take out the carving tools too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan. My Fimo effort was hideous so I applaud your ingenuity. Hm, never thought of icing nozzles =0)

      Delete
  8. I wasn't still over the existence of a desktop vacuum former (you live, you learn...) and then you came along with those dandelion seeds! Obsessive... hmmm... you said so... I would call this... hmmm... interesting... clever... awesome - and the result looks stunning, especially together with these fantastic pots. The use of the metallic foil adds for sure a touch of class... ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Birgit, glad you appreciate my obsession :0P

      Delete
  9. Están estupendos.
    Un abrazo
    Maite

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pepper! Your pots look wonderful! I remember using plaster of paris for molds a loooong time ago! LOL! It is very easy... except if you want very smooth surfaces...! Then the bubbles can be difficult. And as for the new cactus spines... WOW! They look so real! Well.... they are real! But what an ingenious use for them!!! You always go the extra Mile!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy. Sometimes I think I obsess over the detail too much but if I don't get to the point that I'm satisfied with what I've done, it niggles like an itch that I can't scratch =0)

      Delete
  11. Brilliant thinking! The cactus looks so real that even a fly won't recognize the difference...
    The plaster mold vase is a show piece. I use a plaster mold for my tiny clay plant pots.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  12. The vases are great but those thorns !!! OM ...they are awesome, you are awesome !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Rosanna. That's very sweet of you =0)

      Delete
  13. again: blogger sucks! I was never notified about you new blog!
    your cactus and pot? as always - absolutely perfect ;-)
    and this moulder is just fab!! thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Your blog keeps disappearing and I only see it when I go to Google plus. Grrr =0(

      Delete
  14. Yum! The plaster and metallics are sublime. have you seen these? http://www.dezeen.com/2016/01/02/snego-building-blocks-salvaged-wood-natural-dyes-design-toys/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, they are gorgeous. I love the colours and the fact you can see the grain of the wood =0)

      Delete