Sunday, 5 March 2017

Minimum World Dolls House Furniture Ltd

30 somethings #8 - Decorating a table

I was recently sent a bare whitewood table from Minimum World doll house furniture and asked if I would decorate it.



If you are not confident enough to make your own furniture from scratch but want to decorate some in your own style, then barewood furniture is for you. It's cheap to buy and readily available.

 This is the surface of the table I was sent - unfinished limewood/whitewood with a regular, open grain

You can stain it in a variety of colours

You can paint it in faux finishes to make it look like weathered planks

You can use decoupage and glue paper to the surface

I decided on a vintage look for my table and started by painting the whole thing with a very watered down black acrylic wash to make it look old. The black will be the base that I hope, will show through in places under the second layer of paint.


Then I painted it with white acrylic. For this layer I didn't add water but used very little paint on the brush. It gives the effect of age to the table as if the outer layer of paint has been worn over many years of use.

I thought I would try a technique that I've seen many time before but have never used. There's a great video tutorial here to explain how to print and transfer images onto wood. I found a vintage label I liked on the Graphics Fairy (Note the image is mirrored so that when you transfer it to the wood, it is the right way around)
I resized it in inkscape so that it would fit onto the table top



Then following the advice on the video, you print the image onto wax paper (wax side up) and place it onto the wood with the wax surface faced down. Because the ink isn't absorbed into the waxy finish, the ink remains wet.


Here you can see the image printed on the waxy side of the paper. To transfer it onto the table, I put the paper on top, ink side down and carefully used a ruler to press the paper against the table top. You have to make sure the paper doesn't move or else you get inky smudges 😒

This is the table after I let the ink dry for a couple of hours. Very vintage chic, no? 



Have a wonderful weekend
Pepper x






46 comments:

  1. Unos cambios preciosos !!!!!, me encantan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Eloisa. Me alegro que te gusten :0)

      Delete
  2. ¡Qué variedad de decoración! Me gusta mucho la última.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eso es lo que me gusta de la madera desnuda. Es tan fácil de decorar. Gracias Isabel :0)

      Delete
  3. Oh my! That looks just lovely. The aging effect and the printing are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, glad you like them :0)

      Delete
  4. Pepper: what a great little tutorial. I was unaware of either of the two links you supplied but am looking forward to going to both of them and exploring. Thank yo for sharing -the little table looks fabulous! - Marilyn D., Oromocto, NB, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn. Sometimes you just stumble across great tutorials on non-mini sites that give you a light bulb moment. I love the wax paper technique and I can see me using it often :0)

      Delete
  5. I love the varied paint techniques you tried before you decided on the great transfer image. Your table looks Fantastic. :-)

    I saved a transfer technique tutorial too. With the one I have you use Elmer's glue and Mod Podge.
    Here is the link I have had saved for years. Now that I have a new printer I might try it.

    http://matsutakeblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/how-to-transfer-inkjet-images-to-wood.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I saw that technique too. I wonder if you can get Mod Podge here or what the UK equivalent is? Hmm :0)

      Delete
  6. I love the result! Something to try one day. Thank you for the tutorial. I also love all the others ideas to transform the table, they are all very special. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexandra. I love that there are so many things you can do to transform bare wood :0)

      Delete
  7. Hello Pepper,
    Wow! the table is beautiful. I love the final color effect and the transfer. Great work!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, very cute! It looks totally vintage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bennzz61, glad you like it :0)

      Delete
  9. The table in the last photo is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the stain on your table looks great Pepper, and your choice of the French decal on top is Magnifique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are all good ideas. I like the vintage look most. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're fantastic, always satisfying little projects using white wood furniture, think the blue ones my favourite, has a rustic beach look about it which is my current obsession. You now know there is definitely a market for rubber stamps 😃 when I tried it on crates there had to be total silence and meditation during the whole process, same as when I do silicone 😃 yours turned out very well though! You must try a crate, you'll love it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it didn't occur to me that I could make a stamp for the writing on a crate...been etching the wood with the laser instead. Sometimes those light bulb moments take a while (with me especially :0D)

      Delete
  13. great tuto about the wax transfer! love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great idea! The wax paper works so well for the vintage vibe I would never have thought of it! Makes me think maybe the printed wax paper could be used to add faux texture or grain to pieces too... ideas! Love the image you picked for on top too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there are a ton of things you can do using the wax paper Kristine :0D It's so easy to rub the design onto wood and the ink dries really quickly. I'm gonna try Sarah's suggestion and get me some vintage crates made :0)

      Delete
  15. Thank you for yet another well explained and illustrated tutorial... your table looks great, what a wonderful idea to use this transfer method for a table. Being limited in my ability to work with wood due to my sore arms and hands I am a big fan of bare wood furniture. And although they are manufactured pieces - there are so many ways to turn them into unique miniatures.

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Birgit. White wood furniture is really adaptable. I've seen some amazing projects done by some very talented mini makers :0)

      Delete
  16. Extraordinario trabajo. Ha quedado fantástico.
    Gracias por tu tutorial.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eres muy bienvenida Marian. Me alegro que te gusten :0)

      Delete
  17. Hi Pepper! I Love what you have done with this table! I have no courage when it comes to printing on fancy surfaces.... like wax paper! I will have to give it a try someday! The paint technique of dry-brushing the white over the dark is a great variation on the more usual crackle finishes one expects to see with this "aged" look! Thank you for adding so much to the "how-tos" here in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy, thank you and you're very welcome :0)

      Delete
  18. What a fun project and thanks for the info! Love the results. And your aging techniques work beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. love what you did with it and the variety you show.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Reading your post i start to feel the miniature bug a little. I haven't made miniatures for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I hope you feel the miniature bug again. Your miniatures are beautiful - I love your quilts :0) Maybe you can be tempted with a small project :0D

      Delete
  21. I love them all! Thank for the tutorial on the wax paper technique. One question though, do you just use regular wax paper that you use in the kitchen or is is some special kind? It looks stiffer than the kind you get in rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyd, it is regular wax paper that you are supposed to use. As it was, i had no wax paper at all in the house and used freezer paper. It works but wax paper is better because you can see though it to place the design on your project :0)

      Delete
  22. Tres chic! Love the finished table. Thanks for the explanation, too. I'd heard of printing on wax paper, but didn't get the rest of the process. I'll definitely try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tres chic! Love the finished table. Thanks for the explanation, too. I'd heard of printing on wax paper, but didn't get the rest of the process. I'll definitely try it out!

    ReplyDelete